Shoftim - "Judges" Deuteronomy 16:18- 21:9

This portion is entitled "Shoftim" which means "judges".  Reflection upon the instructions within this portion cause a great deal of humility to come over me.  In asking myself the question, "What do I know about YHVH?", I come to realize how little, if anything, I know about Him.  In actuality, I probably know just enough to trust everything I am or can be to His infinite wisdom.  In considering my thoughts on this portion, I first thought of the following words of Messiah through Matthew.

"Do not judge, lest you be judged.  For with what judgment you judge, you shall be judged.  And with the same measure you use, it shall be measured to you."  Matthew 7: 1-2

When I read Father's instruction through Mosheh, I find how unqualified I am to be a judge over anyone.  In fact, according to Messiah, I have no right to enter into judgment over any of my fellow brethren.  I'm too busy trying to take the "beam" or "plank" out of my own eye.  Oh, how pleasant it would be within the camps of the righteous if we would be single minded--taking care of business at home before meddling in accusation, judgment, and exclusion of our fellow brethren.

Mosheh continues through this portion to discuss the qualifications of kings, priests, and a prophet.  Equally, I am humbled in these areas.  Although my life may bear some small resemblance to the characteristics of these men, I remain pitifully short.  I am left with nothing but to humbly defer to the authority of Messiah and His merciful judgments.  It is for Him as Matthew says.

"And YHVH came up and spoke to them, saying, 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.'"  Matthew 28: 19

While there may be many men that have some of the attributes of these four office holders, there are far fewer that fulfill even the minimum of qualifications,  There are even fewer that may excel in just one of these offices.  There is only One that excels in all four--and, no one is greater.  He is the Messiah spoken of so eloquently and prophetically through Isaiah.

"And a Rod shall come forth from the stump of Yishai (Jesse), and a Sprout from His roots shall bear fruit. The Spirit of YHVH shall rest upon Him--the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of YHVH."  Isaiah 11: 1-2 

When I read this list of the seven Spirits of YHVH, beginning with the Spirit of YHVH Himself, I am forced to realize just how small and finite I am.  Likewise, all men that consider them selves against this list of attributes should re-think any personal ideas of grandeur they may harbor.  It is an awesome responsibility to assume the office of judge, king, priest, or prophet--and NEVER to be taken lightly.

There is a curious set of words used by Mosheh in 16: 20.  He says, "Follow righteousness, righteousness alone..."  Another version says, "Justice, justice you shall pursue".  There is a major idea to be learned from Torah.  There are NO redundant expressions in Torah.  It is as Mosheh says, "every word is for (our) survival".  There are two very different words used in this instance for "righteousness (justice)".

The first "righteousness" or "justice", means just what it says.  The second word means"righteously" or "justly".  In other words it says, "Pursue justice in a just manner".  As it is with any society that wishes to be and remain free, that society's judges must follow all the rules themselves. It once was the same in the USA.  Now, the pervasiveness of corruption among our judges is evident.  With this in mind, it won't be long until YHVH hands out His judgment on our judges, and this nation, according to Matthew 7: 1-2.

There is a dual prophesy within this portion that most gloss over, thinking it is another point of redundancy.  It seems even the translator of this version has made the same mistake.  My emphesis is added to show the mistake.  The author has capitalized both words, "Prophet", and the related pronouns of the second.  Clearly, there are two different prophecies and prophets--one "like God", and one "like Mosheh".

"YHVH your Elohim shall raise up for you a Prophet (like Me) from your midst, from your brothers.  Listen to Him, according to all you asked of YHVH your Elohim in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, let me not hear again the voice of YHVH my Elohim, nor let me see this great fire any more, lest I die.  And said to me, what they have spoken is good.  I shall raise up for them a (Prophet like you) out of the midst of their brothers. And I shall put My Words in (His) mouth, and (He) shall speak to them all that I command (Him)."  Deuteronomy 18: 15-18

The first "Prophet" clearly is our Messiah.  He came once to first do the work of redemption.  He is very soon returning to complete the process with judgment--balanced perfectly as in "mercy and justice have kissed".  Even the best of men could not hold a candle to the perfection with which Messiah handles the two concepts together.

The second "(p)rophet" is clearly a man "like (Mosheh)".  This is the man like Mosheh YHVH will raise up to lead the remnant into the greater exodus.  The identity of this man is still to be determined.  When this man is revealed, we will know him because we know from Torah what Mosheh was like.  In addition, we will have the outpouring of the Holy Spirit for confirmation.

The time is upon us to gather the remnant for our journey to the Promised Land.  We are on the brink of that great trek.  In 20: 1-4, Mosheh imparts words of encouragement for this great people.  He tells of the armies greater than ours that will diligently try to "take us out".  Yet, he says, "don't lose heart".  As YHVH did to pharaoh of Egypt, He will do even more miraculously with our enemies.  It is time for us to prepare for the battle by getting our affairs in order--fixing our hearts upon the instruction of His Torah.  Then,"stand still and see the salvation of the Lord!"

No comments:

Post a Comment