Ki Teitzei - "When You Go Out" Deuteronomy 21:10-25:19

In reading this portion, I am reminded of the comments of Messiah Yeshua concerning the two greatest commandments of the Torah.  Most of us quickly lay claim to obeying the first--love God with all our being.  Yet, we don't go much beyond lip service in keeping the second--love our neighbor as we do ourselves. 

As an example, it's like I once heard a taxi driver friend of mine tell me after a hard day on the job..."I'm going home, kiss the cat, and kick the wife".  I think I knew my friend well enough to know his statement was just a humorous attempt to release a little of his stress.  Yet, all too often, we have a rough day at work and greet our spouse at home by kicking them with unkind words, a grumpy attitude, or even a cold shoulder.

There are many examples each of us face or personally manifest every day concering acts of unkindness.  As for me, there isn't a more stressful position than driving for a living, as I did for 18 years as a taxi driver.  The stress of maneuvering through heavy city traffic for 12 hours a day and dealing with rude passengers and other drivers puts an enormous strain on practicing the ideals of kindness detailed in this portion. 

I have long since moved on from that job.  Yet, whether in other jobs, just out and about, or at home, I have found similar opportunities to strengthen my attitude of kindness.  I have not always won the battle between kindness and meanness.  Yet, with His strength, there has been a lot of improvement.  The act of being kind or mean is a deliberate choice of the heart.  In either case, a continued choice to act in kindness or to be mean brings a person to the point of addiction.  It becomes an inseparable part of their lives.

It was this portion that caused me to begin wearing "tzitzits" on my belt all the time.  Although SueJean made them very attractive, I don't wear them for show.  I wear them for ME.  I wear them to remind me to "keep His commandments"--especially those concerning kindness.  So now, even when a part of me wants to drag a guy out of his car and "slap some sense into him" for passing several cars and my 54 foot rig on a rain slick highway--in a no passing zone--I just remember the tassles on my belt, take a deep breath or two, and thank my loving Father no accident occurred.

The title of this portion is "Ki Teitzei" and means "When you go out".  In the true sense of this meaning, this portion begins from the time we put our clothes on in the morning.  Even before this time, there should be a kind word or action on our lips for our spouse.  Then, when we go out into the world, our attitude will be one of kindness toward everyone we meet.  For the rude and destesable, there will be little or no response.  Eventually, the practice of this attitude will turn into a prayer for these unfortunate souls.  For all my readers, I leave this Aaronic blessing of kindness.

"Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying, 'This is the way you shall bless the children of Israel.'  Say to them: 'The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.'"  Numbers 6: 23-26

No comments:

Post a Comment