Valley of Baca--Rivers of Sorrow

Chapter Eight
The Valley of Baca

Psalms 84: 6a. “…And they pass through the Valley of Baca
(Part 1 of Three)

Rivers of Sorrow

Because of the sting of sin, sorrow and tears are an integral part of our lives. And, sometimes this pain often reduces tears to a “Valley of Weeping”. In consideration of this literal meaning of “Baca”, Webster says “weep” means “to express emotion, especially sorrow by shedding of tears”. Synonyms of “bewail” and “cry” express the deep bitterness the Psalmists attempt to portray with the statement, “And they pass through the Valley of Baca”.

Yes, my friends, we are on a pilgrimage, a journey for our great God and precious Messiah. On that trek, we ascend to the highest of mountain peaks, and descend to the lowest of valleys. There is no avoiding it. A trip through our own personal “Baca” may include the loss or alienation of a friend, spouse, or family member. It may include the actual physical loss of the same—saying goodbye to them as they leave this world.

These travails of the heart can expand to the realm of personal physical health, or that of a loved one, and be inclusive of the words of David in Psalms 6: 2, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled. My soul is greatly troubled; but You, O Lord—how long?” And, yes, many times I ask as David. Lord, how long will you tarry? How long must I wait to see your deliverance?

Even more than the natural challenges of living in an imperfect world, we must face a host of opposition to the individual calling our Lord imparted to each of us. According to our varied circumstances, we could apply the words of David in Psalms 3: 2, “Many are they who rise up against me. Many are they who say of me, ‘There is no help in God’”.

Even with the momentary reprieve of mountain top experiences, the challenges we face are life-long. These challenges are inclusive of mind, body, and soul. These sorrows even extend to the spirit of man. And, who more than Job would be an example of such degradation?

In praying for his massive challenges, Job said in 17: 6-7, “But he has made me a byword of the people, and I have become one in whose face men spit. My eye has also grown dim because of sorrow, and all my members are like shadows”.

Even more personally disconcerting for sorrow’s sake is death itself. As Job most certainly felt the very presence of death, the Psalmist wrote in 116: 3, “The pains of death surrounded me, and the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me; I found trouble and sorrow”.

Even King Hezekiah felt the pangs of premature death. Isaiah records him saying in 38: 10, “I said, ‘in the prime of my life I shall go to the gates of Sheol; I am deprived of the remainder of my years’”. And, so, his lament continued through v. 20.

Yes, my friends, these things can’t be avoided. From cradle to grave, we must endure together, the glorious mountain top and the humbling valley. We must traverse the paths set before us in faith.

Click Here For More Psalms 84 Treasures

No comments:

Post a Comment