And His Name Shall Be Called

From my time as a small child, I was brought up in a church setting.  I wasn't like many I've met whose parents dropped their children off at church and went back home.  Although imperfect, my parents took their children to church and stayed with them.  Among even the most routine matters of life, the Bible was a very major part of our family life.  

For the first 50+ years of my life, the name and person of "Jesus" occupied  a very special place in my heart.  Although I never totally followed in my father's footsteps as a Southern Baptist preacher, from my teenage years forward, YHVH's Word was and still is at the very center of my thinking.  My goal was and is to always learn more of Him.  The music I sing and write reflects the truth I have found in His Word--many truths of which refute church doctrines I once was taught.

In my early years, I depended largely upon what I was taught by pastors, teachers, and my parents.  However, as the years went on, I accepted less and less what I was being taught and started learning for myself.  Rather than listen to my church leaders, I let the Holy Spirit be my Guide.  Gradually, Father has placed brick of knowledge upon brick of knowledge, tempered with a lot of personal one-on-one relationship.  

As a result of this personal relationship with Adonai, He has brought me forward far beyond my early Christian teachings.  Of the most elementary of my knowledge of Him is His name.  If one wishes to establish a deep and lasting friendship with anyone, it should behoove them to start by learning that person's name and how to pronounce it.  I have heard it said, "the most pleasant sound anyone can hear is their name".  If your name is John and I call you George all the time, you would likely be rather displeased with me.  So it is with our Messiah!

A few days ago, SueJean and I passed a little Baptist church near where we are staying.  On their marquee was written these words exactly as follows.  "And His name shall be called, JESUS!"  As the following quotes will support, His name is NOT "Jesus", but, rather "Yeshua".  Anyone with a heart felt desire for truth can greatly expand upon this information with a minimal of research effort.

"Yeshua is the original Aramaic proper name for Jesus the Nazarene, who lived from about 6 B.C.E. to 27 C.E. (A.D.)  The word 'Jesus' is actually a mis-transliteration of a Greek mis-transliteration. The Emperor Constantine even mistook Jesus for Apollo, the son of the Greek god Zeus." (The Nazarene Way of Essenic Studies at www.the wayofthenazarene.com)


"Modern English "Jesus" /ˈdʒiːzəs/ derives from Early Middle English Iesu (attested from the 12th century). The name participated in the Great Vowel Shift in late Middle English (15th century). The letter J was first distinguished from 'I' by the Frenchman Pierre Ramus in the 16th century, but did not become common in Modern English until the 17th century, so that early 17th century works such as the first edition of the King James Version of the Bible (1611) continued to print the name with a I".  (www.wikipedia.org)

Clearly, it is as the Nazarene website says.  "It is most proper to call Him Yeshua; only in Hebrew does this name have any meaning. In Hebrew Yeshua means both 'Salvation', and the concatenated form of Yahoshua, is 'Lord who is Salvation'. The name 'Jesus' has no intrinsic meaning in English whatsoever."  (The Nazarene Way of Essenic Studies at www.the wayofthenazarene.com) 

The Nazarene Way website further says, "Today's tradition of pronouncing His completely Hellenized name as 'Jesus' has indeed obscured His true name, 'Yeshua', and has shifted its perceived meaning much like most of His original teachings".  For more than 1700 years, the truth of His correct identity has been obscured through the Baal-like teachings of mixture by our church fathers.


In consideration of ideas and teachings suitable to be imparted to the public (the exoteric), and those designed for or understood by the specially initiated alone (esoteric), the Nazarenes make the following observation of comparison in name usage.  

"The name 'Jesus' or 'Jesus Christ' is often used in everything from idle conversation, to bumper stickers and jewelry, to enforcing false teachings, to justifying wars and political agendas, and is even used as a profanity. The name 'Yeshua' however, has remained pure and holy, known and used only by those who would uphold His name and teachings in the highest regard and thus reserving His holy name for use only in spiritual matters and the most humbled and sincere of prayer and obeisance."

At this point, I find it necessary to state that I am in no way, shape, or form involved with what is called the "Sacred Names Movement".  These are they that insist His name be pronounced correctly, exclusively according to their specific version.  If one doesn't rigidly adhere to their specific understanding, sin is implied and fellowship is damaged or totally broken.  I will never break fellowship with any brother based upon their usage of His name--even though some would break with me.

Whether I use the name, "Yehoshua", or its derivative "Yeshua", or "Yahshua", or any other form, I address Him correctly.  I have heard it taught more than once that it is impossible for a person of any descent, including Hebrew, over three years of age of correctly pronounce His name.  For this reason, I have no right to take issue with anyone concerning their version of His Hebrew name.  However, it is clear the name "Jesus" IS NOT among the list of qualified names for our Messiah.  Even so, I will continue to lovingly encourage my Christian brethren to use His proper Hebrew name.


For many years I grew to love the name "Jesus".  Just because I now choose to no longer use that name doesn't mean I love my Messiah any less.  In fact, I love Him deeply enough to search the depths of His Word and call Him by His real name.  Because I have stayed faithful to Him, He has given me the courage to stand against lies put forth from church pulpits by modern day preachers, many of whom are laden down with seminary degrees they so much like to flaunt.  

On the same church marquee, the name of the pastor was listed as Dr. _____.  Credentials attached to his name suggest knowledge of truth concerning the subject of this post.  If this particular pastor truly loved Messiah, as he would like us to believe, he would have would have parted with denominational dogmas and written on his marquee, "And His name shall be called, YESHUA!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment